Thursday, December 18, 2008

WIP Jingles and Spooks

As Christmas approaches and I finish up the Christmas pieces, I find I am feeling a new freedom to create the little skelly, spooks and pumpkin boys that are near and dear to my heart. After all, Halloween is only a little over 10 months away. I show three of the little "spooks" in progress below. I created an over sized top hat for one armless skelly (arms are still to come today), a pointed hat skelly and a little pumpkin head boy that is also in need of arms. I have some ideas on making them crossover pieces with Valentine's Day and Easter coming up so we will see what happens. Hmmmmm.....

Lots of heads and bodies in rough clay are sitting on a rack to dry just enough to toughen up the outside so that I can put details on them in the next day or two, or three, next week, two weeks...you get the idea.

I hope everyone is feeling the joy of the season as Christmas day approaches. I'm feeling very little stress this year for some reason and this week the creative juices are flowing. I just decided if a glass gets left in the sink or my "Christmas" cards don't get out until January, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. For anyone that has known me for years this just isn't normal for me, but I made a conscious decision to enjoy myself through the holidays and giving myself permission to follow through with it has been a great gift.

Here is wishing all of you the permission to sit and have a cup of cocoa (or my new favorite David Rio, Flamingo Vanilla Chai) and just breath in the wonder of the season.

Happy creating all!!
Laurie

10 comments:

PJHornbergerFolkArtist.com said...

Good for you, Laurie! We don't need to add the extra weight to our shoulders with the guilt thing. Those dishes in the sink are going to be waiting for my husband no matter how long it takes. Ha! They're darn sure not waiting for me! <:-) ~PJ

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Hi Laurie ~ BUSY BEE...scared of u (that is a compliment!) '-)

PS: No mailed goodie as of today's mail & I'm out of town now for the weekend...the mail is really slowed down right now. BUT there will be someone to retrieve my packages until I return home next week!

SpOOky CK (-:

Unknown said...

Kudos to you Laurie. Let the stress go and enjoy the season. They are cool the ones you are working on. Love them,what art medium do you use to create them?

Kudos again

Sonia;)

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Oh PJ, you make me laugh girl!!! I can't wait to get my rooster and flowers. I will let you know as soon as they arrive!!

CK, I scare you?!!! Who is this person that posts a new thing on his blog daily?!! I'm just trying to keep up with you.

Sonia, I am currently working in fastmache, which is a powder papier mache product similar to celluclay, but it sets up and dries faster. I also use paperclay on some pieces when I want a smoother surface.

Thank you for coming to visit and leaving a comment.
Laurie

HowlingMoonDesigns said...

Hi Laurie..I popped over to wish you a very Merry Christmas! :)
Love the wips, can't wait to see them finished!
Candy

Johanna Parker said...

Thanks Laurie.... I need a little push from a fellow artist to take it easy for a change! Now, we'll see if I have it in me!!! I'm so used to working all day, 7 days a week.. Ahhhh the life of a folk artist!!

Can't wait to see what magic you'll do with your paint on those naked W'sIP...... Have fun and Happy Holidays!

~ Johanna
PS.... I few weeks back I checked out your TV interview and art feature!!! That was so FUN to see! Congrats!!!!

Christopher A. Klingler said...

LOLOLOLOL '-P)

Merry Merry!!!

PS: Glad you enjoyed my buns too.

Chris (-:

vintagepaletteart said...

I want to come play in the clay at your studio Laurie..........=O)

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

That chai sound pretty good right about now. Have a Very Merry Christmas Laurie!

Marie Patterson Studio said...

Laurie,
Thank you for entering my gift give away! The winners are now posted so come by and have a look!

Merry Christmas,
Marie