Tuesday, March 24, 2009

FastMache Order, Weather and the Fire

I received a number of emails besides the comments you left yesterday and I wanted to let you know why I order over 200 pounds of papier mache material. The company I ordered from (link in the post below) provides your shipping for FREE if you order over a certain dollar amount...plus there is an additional discount on your order if you go to the next dollar figure they list, so I did both. I had not been able to find my papier mache product locally or on the internet since October, and the company would not respond to my emails. When we went to Arizona in January my husband kindly stopped at every Hobby Lobby and Michaels store between Nebraska and Arizona listed on the internet, and I only found 3 small boxes. I decided to not go through this again next year so I stocked up. I don't think I will have to worry about my supply for some time now!!! HA!

We escaped the tornado threat yesterday in our county, but people to the east of us were not so fortunate. We had sustained winds in the 30-40 mph range all day yesterday, with wind gusts over 60 mph. It created a terrible problem for our fire department when a grass fire started southeast of town, jumped the Platte River, crossed Interstate-80, which was closed for over 6 hours in a 9 mile stretch because of the smoke and for the safety of the 10 fire departments that came in trying to get it stopped. Kelly came home from work long enough to tell me what was going on and I next saw him after midnight. They had farmers come in with disks on their tractors ahead of the fire disking under combustible material and front-end loaders moving dirt for them ... it was the example of why I love living here...everyone offering services to help out. They had food brought in from various organizations, the Yamaha dearlership supplied 4-wheelers for the department with water on board, the Salvation Army provided their canteen for water, gatorade, and food for the fire fighters, the city helped line up the loaders and operators for the department's use (both the city manager and mayor went to station 1 to check on the department's needs), and one mutual aid department came from over 35 miles away to help with the fire. ((((((( Big hugs to everyone for their help.)))))))) We are in a wind advisory again today but our temperature is about 35 degrees cooler than yesterday so hopefully no fires today. Here is a video link: http://hubvideo.kearneyhub.com/?p=1493

Here is wishing you all good weather!!
Laurie

7 comments:

Tumbleweed Trails said...

I am so glad you were able to get your mache that you need. I agree, this weather is ferrocous. I'm sitting here in North Platte and the wind is howling, it's cold and snowy. Yucko! What happened to those nice days we were having? Oh, yes, March...out like a lion. I'm glad you were all safe from our unpleasant weather yesterday.

Jody

visionquest2020@msn.com

Unknown said...

Hi Laurie,

I am glad yall are safe, and the community banded together. We had very high winds for the past 2 days here in Austin...today was calm..was starting to wonder if the dogs were gonna have to be latched down with weights while they used the potty...they are still here.

I understand about the stock up. I went to my local Hobby Lobby to find the product you had told me about, with no luck. And many companies give discounts on how much u order. The amount you order would last me forever. I know you will put all to good use.

Smiles,

Sonia ;)

PEA said...

Oh I am glad that you made it through the storm my dear. Sad that some did not. Thank you for the video clip though. I saw the poor little dear running and the terrible fire. I hope they have it under control now. Sounds like you have a good area with helpful folks. The World needs more like them. Now send some here. Bunch of grumpies here.
Hugs,Pea

Amy H. said...

I am so glad to hear of the togetherness in such tragedy. I am and will continue to pray for your community.

Amy

Flora said...

Laurie,
how scarey for you and your family!!! I'm glad to hear all is well, stay safe.
Many Blessings,Flora

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Glad you got hooked up with new supplies & also glad you guys are OK!!!

PS: Thanks too 4 you know what?! '-)

Me (-:

Lydia said...

That's what the real America is all about! Glds all is ok for you.