Thursday, May 21, 2009

Three Little Celestial Heads

Here are the three little celestial heads with their buckets and hats. They have little pits and craters on their scalps from the astroids and space debris hitting them over the years, but they still wear their smiles and grins because they know they provide part of the light in the sky each night. Little Dipper is the figure on the left and he isn't named for being part of that constellation....he has a problem with dipping into Halloween buckets stealing the goodies collected by others. When you were younger (and perhaps still today) do you ever remember blaming a sibling for eating part of your candy? Well, it wasn't them, it was Little Dipper!!! Such a sweet tooth that little guy!! (By the way, I give you permission to tell your children this story if you need a candy bar or two and didn't realize they had counted their candy.)

In the center is Cassiopeia. Now if you know the story of Cassiopeia, she was a vain woman that tried to disrupt the marriage of her daughter, and was turned to stone by the head of Medusa. Always a diva, she carries a cat scepter and Halloween bucket to collect as much candy as she can devour before returning to the heavens to spend half of her year upside down. She has gained a little weight since Posiedon put her in the heavens, but as we get older we all learn it is harder to keep that weight off!

To the left is Crater Head. This poor little figure has had tons of space debris hit the surface of the head so has lots of craters and pits. Still a Halloween fan, you see little Crater carrying a bucket to collect the goodness from Trick or Treating!


Little Dipper thanks you for taking a look at the group!! Have a great end to your week!
Laurie

18 comments:

Judy C said...

I am looking forward to finished product.

Unknown said...

Amazing...Love the stories behind them. One day after selling my art..I am buying a Laurie Hardin Original let me tell ya.....LOL...

Have a good weekend and holiday..

Smiles,
Sonia ;)

Gourdqueen said...

Laurie when ever I am looking for a smile I know where to go. Your stories and characters always make me smile and even cause me to give out a little giggle.
It's so funny, I have decided to add arms and legs to my gourds and when I saw your guys I thought, OMG they look like gourds! Then ones I have imagined in my mind don't look like yours but I had never realized how they looked like they could be gourds!
Linda

Chicken Lips said...

Love the stories. Laurie, you are just so DARN clever!

Janell Berryman Pumpkinseeds folk art said...

Thanks for stopping by Laurie! Now I need to get out there and visit blogs. Your's is the first! OK I am loving these guys! As always :) Love your theme. The world is an amazing place with themes. Yah!!!

Shirley Williams said...

Laurie, I love that you are willing to share your process with everyone. Your creations are so unique and wonderful.

Gourdqueen said...

Gourdie-Do anyone?

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Thanks Judy...so glad you stopped by and have a great weekend!!

Sonia, well aren't you just so sweet to leave me notes and talk about getting a Monkey-Cats original. I'm planning on being around for a good long time so we will get something worked out!!

Linda, I had a woodcarver tell me my figures looked like carvings and now you say gourds...I guess I see alittle of both!!! HA! I have gourds to build on, but I just haven't gotten the clay mixed to make the figures...someday, maybe...so much to do!!

David, I think my family would refer to what I do as an overactive imagination. They just shake their heads at me!! Oh well!!

Janell, Themes give me direction and heaven knows I am in need of that. I just need someone to "herd" me periodically!

Shirley, Thank you for stopping by and welcome to blogland!!

Linda, Do anyone? HA!!!

Have a terrific weekend one and all and enjoy the extra day off...oh ya, we are self-employed, we don't get days off!!!

Laurie

Tumbleweed Trails said...

Love your WIP's. Just stoppin' by to say hello so you don't think I've fallen off the edge of the earth. BTW, I never realized you do commissioned work! Hmm, now you've got me thinking!

Hugs,
Jody

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Hi Jody! No I feel like I've fallen off of the edge of the earth...time is just flying right now for me! I'm trying to cut back until after September on the commissions because of H & V and the other two fall shows I'm signed up for. I think I'm off of my rocker!

Have a great weekend!
Laurie

Unknown said...

"Little Dipper's" storyline made me laugh, but let's just say that when I started to read the name "Cassiopeia" my mind went in a totally different direction... Great pieces Laurie!!

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Hi Lori, thank you for stopping by today...were you afraid maybe Cassiopeia was the goddess of rain?!!! giggle!!!

Have a great weekend, but since you are in Canada I bet you don't get the extra day for the holiday!!

Laurie

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Popping in for a belated hello! :-)

Have a great holiday weekend!!!

Workaholic CK (-'

XOXO

Gourdqueen said...

Laurie would you please go to my Blog! You and Lorraine are killing me!

PEA said...

Darling, just darling and I love the stories to go with them.
You are a genius, yep I would say so.
hugs,Pea

Kathleen A Foley Grimm 'KAF' said...

Hi Laurie ... Crater Head, love the name!! And your stories!
Your work is amazing! :)

Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs,
Kaf

Jorge de Rojas said...

Great work Laurie. They already have such movement. I especially love the grinning kittie in your last post.
Jorge

Little Dollings by Brenda O. said...

Laurie -- I'm crazy about celestial Anything.. and yours have that special Monkey touch! lol I sure am looking forward to these ones!!

:)
Brenda